Thursday, October 16, 2008

Not Pretty

Yesterday I was not in finest form. I lost it on my children, full blown yelling, it wasn't pretty. And to make it worse, it happened twice. First one came when both Charlie and Jane pooped on the floor (on purpose!) and were running cars through it. Why? Why does this happen? At the time I could hear them laughing and giggling in the other room and I thought "I love that they can play so well together". When I saw what they were doing I yelled, LOUD. You know those crazy moms in the grocery store that yell inappropriately at their kids and you think, "I want to take those kids home and away from their mom". I was that mom. I called Mike to tell him about it and all he wanted to know was, had I taken a picture? Not this time. I found no humor in it this time.

Later, I heard Charlie, in a firm loud voice, say to Jane "Look at me right now." That was my voice.

The next one came about two hours later when they were supposed to be eating lunch. They were walking on the table through their lunch and barbecue sauce and running all around. Not good. Lost control again. There was yelling, loud, uncontrollable. I stripped both kids down, put Jane in a highchair and put Charlie on time out while I cleaned up. At this point I'm pretty steaming mad. Then when I was about to feel the guilt for losing it on these little ones, I notice that the front door was WIDE OPEN. That's right, open. So instead of spending the day feeling bad and guilty for what I've done, all I can think is "Did the neighbors hear?"

Now I'm that mean crazy lady in the grocery store.

17 comments:

Brittney said...

Oh friend! You are not that lady, you just had a rough day. I totally understand, and I am sure any neighbor with kids understand too! Also, I love you new old house, I guess newly purchased house!

Nicole said...

We all have bad days. Don't feel too guilty. I think all moms understand because we've all been there before. I know I have done my fair share of yelling. You are still a great mom!

Shannon said...

I know I've been there before. I have to admit I laughed when I read poop and cars, but if had been my kids I would have been FURIOUS!!

Andrea said...

Believe me, we all have those days.

Ammon and Tasha said...

I know exactly how you are feeling! We all understand and if your neighbors heard I am sure they are just sympathizing with you as well! Izzy has been into biting lately and I have tried EVERYTHING and the last time that she did it I lost it and bit her right back - I felt sooo bad that I took her to McDonalds for lunch that day. I didnt tell her why - just that we were going. I think every mother has regrets when it comes to their children and how we handle things - so no worries!!

Tricia said...

I can't believe they would poop on the floor on purpose! That's disgusting! Do all kids do that? Maybe the Lord is keeping us from having children for a reason. I could maybe handle the food thing alone, but not both together, and I think I probably would have not just stripped them down, but would have locked them both outside the house and hosed them down with the freezing cold hose water!

Shay said...

Are you trying to scary me? That sounds like a crazy day. I'm sure your neighbors understand, especially if they hear your story. That's just terrible!

Ro said...

ooooh, kimber! i'm so glad i'm not the only one who has those days! i think it's totally normal to "loose it" every once in a while! i haven't had to deal with poop yet, but i'm sure i will when jack starts potty training!

Joni said...

Yelling is ok sometimes. Although, I'm not a mom, so I really don't know anything. :)

Irene said...

my heart goes out to you. i think if both of those had happened to me in one day, i would have called my husband and told him to come home if he wanted someone to be watching his kids, because i was done for the day. and maybe the next day, too. ;) i hope today goes better!!!

Amie said...

I'm just glad to hear that you're normal! I have always thought that you're such a great mom (and I still do), but it's nice to know that even great moms loose it sometimes. If it makes you feel better, my children can be equally as naughty sometimes and I have been known to loose it plenty of times. It's so hard to see the humor when they are being deliberately naughty like that. Add to that the unpacking, recovering from being really sick and having 3 small children and I don't even know if it would have been humanly possible not to loose it! I hope today is better! :)

Tara said...

It can happen to the best of us! We still love you and so do Charlie and Jane.

It scares me when P immitates my voice to her dolls and stuffed animals--I realize that sometimes I should try harder to be a little nicer under those rough circumstances.

I still need your address--email it to me.

Kathy said...

We've all had a turn being the lady yelling at her kids. No worries! Hey, I need your new address!

The Wards said...

I don't think you should feel too bad. I would have been that mom too!!! Better days (probably tomorrow) will come, but until then, GOOD LUCK:)

Karen said...

Oh, Kimber. It happens to everyone! In fact, that happens at our house (not the poop thing, the breaking down thing) on a regular basis. You can tell by everyone else's comments, it happens to all Moms - especially when you have 3 kids.

Rachel L said...

Been there, done that. Makes you think twice before you look at that mad mom in the grocery store and think you could do better, eh? Been there, done that, too. It's realizations like this that make us GREAT mothers.

Unknown said...

I think that any mom who claims she doesn't have those days is lying to herself. Pick up and start over. Lucky for us, we get those chances.