Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Holy Smokes! Momma's 80!

That's right folks. My sweet mother of 33 years is 80. You do the math. (This is where my older sister would always try to convince me that I was Down Syndrome)

Mom is one tough cookie. She has outlived the age of her husband, father, mother and only sister. The great part is that her mind is still sharp and she still has many years to go (or so I keep telling her).

Mom -
Thank you for teaching me to love others, to not judge them, to show compassion, to stand up for what is right, to feed the visiting teachers, to write Thank you cards, to clean, to bear my testimony, to have dinner with my family, to take care of my husband, to speak clearly, to appreciate and acknowledge others, to stand up for the weak, to love my Heavenly Father, to love my Dad, to read to my children and of course there is the all famous, don’t chew gum in public. ( not that I do all of these things, I can be a slow learner)

And how cute is it that she posed with her poodle? Don't worry we've all teased her.

13 comments:

Amberly said...

happy big one, grandma nina! you sure have built a legacy in this fabulous family of yours!

Andrea said...

What a wonderful tribute! She must be one great lady.

Ammon and Tasha said...

Precious! Happy Birthday Mom!!!

Jen said...

I love reading your blog. You are so great at keeping us posted. I'm not so great at that! Happy Birthday Kimber's mom.

Amie said...

Kimber! you look so much like her! Happy Birthday to Kimber's mom!

Unknown said...

Kim, I think you forgot one of the very most important, "Don't stand up to give the prayer in Sacrament Meeting until the chorister has finished and is no longer leading." Love Grandma Nina, she is one tough cookie! Oh yea, I don't think you have Downs Syndrome.
Happy Birthday Grandma Nina!!!

Tara said...

So I can believe your mom is doing well and all, but that dog?? I can't believe she is still around!!! Aren't moms great?

Kathy said...

Happy Birthday Nina! When I think of your mom, I remember when we were in 9th grade and we had to sing in Seminary. We were practicing one night at your house and Nina kept saying "Don't say Lard. Say Lord!" Love her!

Stephen & Kendra said...

I thought about writing "I actually think you might have down syndrome..." and I laughed for about 5 minutes. Thanks for the work out! I love ya. Kendra

The Wards said...

I'm writing your tribute down so I can try to teach my kids those same things. You wrote things so beautifully, but still with your sweet and funny sense of humor. Love ya, Kimber!

kimmalee said...

Happy birthday Grandma dear. I hope you are able to read this blog. Wish I was there to help you find it on the internet again! I gave the closing prayer in sacrament meeting and was, sadly seated all the way at the back. I still waited until the song was entirely over before I walked all the way up from the overflow section to give the prayer. See Grandma, I can be taught! The snuggling with my honey during church, however, I still have not given up.

JoAnn said...

HaHa Ha, I love grandma nina. We should probably collect a list of all the fun and interesting advice she has given us over the years. It would be quite the collection, like always get a new dish when you put out a new cube of butter.

Rachel L said...

Your mother looks so sweet! I just love mothers. I hope my kids will say that someday. I was thought to possibly have downs syndrome too. Guess that happens when your born to a mother in her 40s.