Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Bedtime Mess

If you read my last post you'll notice that I was filled with the spirit of sweetness and love for such cute kids. That sweet feeling is gone and it departed last night at exactly 2:50 am when I heard "happy" yelling coming from the hallway outside of my bedroom. I walked out of the room to find the hallway empty but the light from Charlie's room was shining underneath the door. (They have yet to learn Eric's trick of putting a blanket down to hide the light.)

There they were in all of their happy glory. Singing and looking at books. I wasn't really sure what emotion was appropriate. A nice hard swat came to mind but really they were just to happy for that amount of anger. So I stood there not really knowing how I was going to get these kids who were wide awake to go back to sleep. I laid down on the bed and asked them to lay down too. Didn't work. I gave a threat that I wasn't willing to back up. They looked at each other and laughed. So I just laid there, half awake, and let them talk and read to each other. Charlie explained to Jane how monsters can't get in our house because Mom and Dad lock all of the doors each night. After a half hour a brilliant thought came to mind. Benadryl. That's right folks, drugs, that was all I had in my midnight brain. I went downstairs to get the appropriate dose and applied my great idea. So for the next hour I would kindly ask them to lay down, hold still, stop talking. We turned on some music and I tried to rest in the bed with them. Then finally sweet victory. I went to bed at 4:30.

Maybe Jane and Charlie sharing a bed isn't such a great idea.

8 comments:

Aunt Debi said...

Were they asleep when you went to bed? Did they have naps that day? Boy, if they are waking each other up to play in the middle of the night I'm not sure what I would do. Especially for two hours. Yikes! Maybe you should wear ear plugs as long as they ae staying in Charlie's room. Once they realize they really have the run of the house you are in trouble.

Amie said...

Oh dear. sounds like a lovely night. I would have used the benadryl too! Emilie and Lydie share a room (bunk beds) and I think we finally have it figured out. There might be hope for you!

Amberly said...

I'd hope for a nap for you except that if anyone naps, you might have another night like the last! I suppose you can be glad they like each other!?

Michelle Burk said...

As Charlie would say, "Let's use our brain here." You have three bedrooms upstairs. You have three children. Wa La! Problem solved. Lock them all in their own rooms, in their own beds, and go to sleep early.

The Hansen's said...

Yowser! I would definetely resorted to the drugs, but you know that's just nurse me. haha
Sorry about the sleepless night, that is no bueno.

Tricia said...

I think in the old days they just used to keep some bourbon on hand.

Unknown said...

Thats awesome...though I have to say you are quite lucky. When my Cait has been given Benedryl, it has the exact opposite effect of sleep...YIKES!!! She's like the Coppertop bunny on speed!

Stephen & Kendra said...

Okay how funny. I didn't read this post before. We've been having problems with Katelyn going to bed past midnight everynight and waking up at 8. We'd read stories, go potty, have a snack, etc. and still it would take 3 hours. So after trying yelling, spanking, crying (me), and changing the lock on the door to the outside, we decided to start the bedtime routine at 7 rather than 9:30. It worked, go figure! Got to love no sleep, I am offically the crazy lady.