Saturday, December 6, 2008

Bedtime Stories

We tried a couple of months ago to transition Jane to her toddler bed but it has not gone well. I haven't found the desire to push the issue so she has been sleeping in our pack-n-play. Lately she has discovered that she is perfectly capable of climbing out at 3:00am and coming in to our room to say in a loud, full Janey voice "Mom, what ya doin?" I haven't enjoyed that either. So on to plan C.

The last four nights we have been putting her in to sleep with her big brother. He wasn't to keen on the idea at first but now he likes this new plan. Tonight I went up to put them both to bed. I was lying there in the dark as Jane continued to laugh and giggle and say "oh no, the monster is coming". Charlie was not amused and his only response was "Jane it's time to go to sleep".

Charlie fell asleep quickly and I got up, kissed Jane, told her to be quiet and then left the room. There was no way that this would work. I was certain that she would be out of the room in a matter of minutes. But no. A full forty five minutes had gone by. Only peace. I went up to put on my p.j.'s only to discover that a light was coming from below the bedroom door. Oh great! I put my ear up to the door but no sound. I slowly opened the door to find Charlie dead asleep and my sweet Janey quietly looking at books. She had gotten out of bed, turned on the light and loaded about eight books up onto the bed to entertain herself. I closed the door before I was discovered and then came straight down to the computer to log this moment. I am still amazed. Happy, but amazed. What a sweet little girl.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

I love that story. I can always count on smiling when I read your posts.

Aunt Debi said...

My sweet Janie. Do you really think this will ever happen again? I'm surprised she didn't keep Charlie awake to play with her. I want to hear what happens tomorrow night.

kimmalee said...

Oh that is so sweet. I love that she just left Charlie alone and decided to keep herself entertained. How are little ones not worn out by bedtime? I can't wait to get to bed at the end of the day!

Paul and Natalie McB said...

Wow, I'm way behind on your bloggin. Your kids are so dang funny. How could they help but be with the parents they have! That picture of your little Maggie in the pink hat honestly about brought tears to my eyes it is so stinkin adorable. You should make that into a poster for your room. It is precious! I love that Jane loves hats and glasses and stuff, that's pretty much the story of my life! Where are you guys at exactly. My sister-in-law and her husband just moved to VA. Maybe you're close, maybe not. Just wondering.

Amie said...

That is darling! Somehow it's not so amusing to me when Eric does that. He likes to stuff blankets under the door so we won't see the light and then he gets out his books. Jane is so cute.