Saturday, August 9, 2008

Lesson Learned

Today Charlie and I went on a walk in our neighborhood walking trails. I wanted to get in a good workout and I invited him along so that he would stop pestering his little sister Janey. We started out at a good pace but at every crossroads we had to stop and make a critical decision. This path or that path? I know it sounds cute and all but it was getting on my nerves a little because he would stop and doddle and I wasn't getting my heart rate up enough. That's when the racing began, we started racing and walking and more racing. Things were getting better but then I think I just tuckered him out.

Along the walk we saw some soda bottles so I talked to him about littering and that the next time we came we could bring some bags to pick up all of the garbage we found along the trail.

We stopped to eat wild blackberries. They are all over this fun trail. Again I tried to speed him up and gave him a little lecture that next time he would be riding in a stroller. ( I knew he wouldn't like that.) He started to join me at that point and the next thing I knew he was behind again! Aagghh! I looked back and he was picking up sticks and throwing them into the bushes. When I was about to get on his case again he said " I am cleaning up the trail so Heavenly Father will be so happy." And that 's when I knew I was blowing it. Here I was trying to hurry him up when I should have just been enjoying our time together. So that's what I did. I slowed down. I started helping him throw the sticks.

Next we found some more blackberries. Every time he would eat one he would rub his tummy and say "mmm yum". Then he surprised me again letting me know that we needed to say a prayer and thank Heavenly Father for these delicious berries. So we did. Charlie said a cute little prayer. Then we went on with our slow paced walk. By the end I had to carry him but I didn't mind this time. He taught me a good lesson today. The walk took about 4 times longer than I had anticipated but it was also 100 times better.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Kimmy! Look how mature you are! All grown up and learning great lessons! -) What a good reminder to me to slow down and do whats important. Who needs their heart rate up when you can be throwing sticks and eating blackberries with a Charlie!

Heather and Jake said...

I love those little surprises that charlie seems to throw out! So cute! You should keep a little book of all the funny and cute things he says! I miss you guys!

Andrea said...

That is like a story you should submit to a church magazine or something....made me cry.

Paul and Natalie McB said...

Don't you just love that we can learn the most from our precious little ones! I wish that I could be better at just slowing down and taking the time to really enjoy them. Thanks for sharing this story, it was a tear jerker! Are you liking VA?

Shay said...

That's cute. It sounds like more fun than just exercising!

Amie said...

We miss you. We miss sweet Charlie too and Jane and Maggie and Mike! Don't forget to visit the PP3 ward when you come to town again. p.s. I need your addres, please! :)

Tara said...

You guys seem to be doing well--better than well with your 'lessons learned'! We all miss you tons and can't wait to hear more about everything you are up to in VA.