Thursday, August 7, 2008

Little Changes

  • Bugs, more than I've ever seen in my life. Bugs I have never seen before. Big, loud and everywhere. My children are going to have awesome insect collections in science class.
  • I didn't realize until moving here that Charlie has never smelled cigarette smoke, pretty lucky for a boy who's almost four. Every time we pass someone who is smoking he plugs his nose, makes a yucky face and loudly says "Mom, what's that gross smell?"
  • There is a Starbucks in every grocery store. I knew that Starbucks was popular and on every corner but every Grocery Store? Weird. The shopping carts all have cup holders. I guess it's hard to grocery shop without your cup of joe.
  • No more Grandma Sycamore's bread. Each time I ask a local what their favorite bread is they look at me like I am strange. No local favorites here.
  • People just stop and chat with me. Everyone is very friendly.
  • I've had four different people stop me and comment that I have my hands full. They think that three young kids is strange. Wait till they see what my true potential can be, 5,6,7,8?

7 comments:

lramey said...

hahhaa! that's crazy- cup holders in grocery carts??? Hmmm....weird. Sounds like a great adventure!!!

Krista said...

Welcome to the "South"!! I HATE the bugs! And the cigarette smoke, but people are super friendly (mostly). I love all the green though! Where exactly are you in VA?

Tara said...

I can't bellieve you are out there and that you are shopping and making VA your new home!

About the smoking thing--this sounds racist but it is not--how are the kids with African Americans?? Presley freaked out (at 10 months) when a tall, large, guy came up to tell her how cute she was. I felt soooo bad.

New experiences are good for everyone. Miss you already.

Andrea said...

Okay...I couldn't handle the bugs! I understand the starbucks at the grocery stores because some in Sandy are like that, but cup holders??? That cracks me up. If that was around when Lex was little I would have used it for her sippy cup or something. That is really cool that Charlie never smelled that before. Pretty amazing actually. Cigarette smoke reminds me of Disneyland and of when I used to live near Vegas. Good luck on finding some good bread! I love that people are friendly there. You have cute kids so keep on going and then they will know the super hero you are. A MOM!!! WHO IS YOUR NEPHEW?

Unknown said...

Oh Kimmy, we miss you! I love picturing you with your little crew cruisin' around VA, smelling coffee & smoke, hunting for good bread. You're the best. Keep on bloggin' so we can watch you guys! Luv ya! Steph

Brittney said...

Eww...bugs is where I draw the line! Do you remember my reaction to ants last year at Camp!? Speaking of, we got home today, and I could not help myself from not missing you this year at Girls Camp! I am glad that you are well, and I miss you!

Karen said...

In church last week, we sat a row behind your normal spot. I just missed seeing you there. Glad to see that you are doing well. My kids are used to the cigarette smoke, because in Colorado there is always someone outside of the grocery store smoking. They just point and tell me that "that guy is smoking, and that's bad!" Classic.