Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Mike's Version

You may or may not know my husband, he's funny, really funny. For some it takes a while to figure out. His sarcasm is subtle so there are those who don't pick up on it. Another thing that makes him more hilarious is that it's not for show. I find him being funny and commenting on things when no one is in the room. Many occasion I can hear him talking to himself. And it's all very laugh worthy.

There is a lovely children's book called No David! by David Shannon. For those of you haven't read the book, it has pictures of little David getting into things, or making a mess and his mother is constantly saying no. The words in the book are few and simple but Mike added his own flavor and opinions. I will attempt to fill you in on this story he was reading Jane while I was upstairs. I'll keep the text of the book in white and Mike's commentary in black. Here's what I heard......

No David! I know you want those cookies but I put them up high so I could eat them all myself.

No, David no! Stop getting dirt on my beautiful white carpet. I love my carpet and I obviously love it more than you.

Come back here David! I didn't notice you went outside because I was busy watching Oprah. I don't want to spend time with you and help you grow and develop properly.

Go to your room! You make me crazy David, can't you be quiet so I can talk on the phone to my friends. I don't want to take the time to help build your creativity.

Not in the house, David! I'm not going to play ball with you, that's what good mothers do and I just neglect you and eat bon bons.

I said no David! My material possessions are more important than you. Don't break my stuff, then my friends won't envy me and know how cool I am.

I was upstairs laughing and had to go downstairs and take a picture. He makes me laugh.

19 comments:

Aunt Debi said...

That's our Mikie! The Rodeo's will never be the same without him!

Amberly said...

so clever, that husband of yours... and while unintentional, a good reminder of where our focus should be during the day.

Andrea said...

Seriously, I loved that! I think his version is way better than the original. He is very funny---you do have to be paying attention to catch it. What a great hubby you have!

The Wards said...

We LOVE that story at our house, but don't read it nearly as well as Mike!!! Okay, mom is funny and so is DAD...you guys must have so much fun everyday!!!! I LOVE laughing and would love to be a fly on your wall!!!

Leslie said...

I think he needs to write a children's book. . . well, maybe not. I loved his version though, it cracked me up, as well as reminded me not to be that kind of mother.

Steve & Julie said...

That was very funny. The sad thing is that it is very true for some parents. Anyway, I already knew you were both funny! It's good to be reminded :)

Brittney said...

That is so funny! I think he should publish a revision of the book, I know I would buy it!

Shannon said...

Lol hilarious!! Mike is perhaps the funniest person I know, but you give him some competition. Everytime we go out with you guys I laugh so hard my stomach hurts.

The Hansen's said...

Oh how I miss you guys!

Amie said...

THAT WAS SO FUNNY!

Paul and Natalie McB said...

Mike IS so funny! I remember laughing until I was bawling at the C.U when he was doing his head banger dance. Oh, and when he would talk like Gilbert Grape, forget about it, I was rolling. He is a funny guy!

Danielle said...

What a sweet, sweet man. Too cute!

Heather and Jake said...

What's funny is that I can see Mike, Richard and my dad all doing something like that! haha awesome story!

Joni said...

I do know this book that you speak of and while the original is pretty funny and cute on its own, Mike's added "flava" is totally awesome and hilarious!!

Tricia said...

funny.

Jen said...

He is so funny. That is a very good post, I had to show Josh!

kimmalee said...

Oh Mike, the world would be a sad place without his biting humor. That is such a hilarious story.

Chelsea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chelsea said...

i'm laughing out loud. i've already forgotten how i stumbled across your blog, but i read back through your achives. virginia!! that's too far away. and another baby! the last time i saw you, jane was so little. your kids are still so stinkin' cute.

if you're interested, shoot me an email so i can send you an invite to my blog: chelseadavis2@yahoo.com