Thursday, August 25, 2011

Shake and Drowned

I was standing in my kitchen when I heard a loud noise. I thought it was the dogs above me in their kennels. I started up the stairs and then stopped on the landing. The loud noise stopped but my house was shaking. I stood still trying to comprehend what it was. I looked out my window to see if a huge gust of wind had hit. Nope. Then I ran back down the stairs to find Maggie sitting on the toilet. I pulled her off and held her close. She thought I was weird.

The teachers at the elementary school were great.Charlie and Jane were unfazed and after the quake they were out in the field until it was time for the buses. I think they were outside for a couple of hours. No school Wednesday as they had to inspect the local schools for damage.

The epicenter was about an hour from our house. The event made for some great neighborhood talks.

So to keep things exciting we are awaiting Hurricane Irene. She's expected to attack us late Saturday night. The prediction is for 105 mph winds. Who knows? Mike prepared by mowing the lawn last night. And I prepared by going to Costco and buying a big box of Ghiradelli brownies. Yep, we'll be just fine. Maybe no power for a bit. But just fine.

7 comments:

Debi said...

Make sure you bake those brownies before you lose power and as long as you have milk to wash them down you will be fine. I read about the earthquake and wondered if you felt it. That was pretty close. Is that common for Virgina?

Monica said...

We must think alike...we mowed today and I just returned with milk and treats. I keep telling Kyle I'm not preparing my lesson for Sunday cause I'm canceling church. So far he just laughs. Hmm..I'll keep trying!

Mallory said...

You are just the lass I want to be around when a natural disaster strikes. haha That is craziness.

Katelyn & Wade said...

That happens every few months around here. I have actually found myself saying, "Hmmm, another earthquake." Lol! I'm hoping mother earth can shake it all out in small minor adjustments or I am going to fall into the ocean.

But brownies, I think I will go add that to my food storage...

Ro said...

yay for quakes and hurracaines!!!

Tara said...

brownies will make everything ok! be safe!

Cammi said...

That is craziness!! and dont think im crazy for saying this but kind of something cool to experience in your lifetime... as long as your safe!